Saturday 24 March 2018

Yesterday was frightful Friday

Well it ended up being frightful for me.  It started off well enough with sorting MIL out with her eye drops and then looking after poorly little children while Colette had some me time and had her nails done.  It's when I went out for a walk with my brother that it turned into a bit of a nightmare.  Halfway through our walk Max was attacked by another dog, not sure how but between myself and my brother we managed to get the dog off Max but was dreading what we would find.  Max ended up with two deep puncture wounds to his cheek/neck area.  The owner of the dog initially was nowhere to be seen but then came along the creek on a bike with a couple of other dogs in tow.  I'd put his dog on our lead and had told my brother to walk up to my MIL's but not before I had shown the man what his dog had done and obtained what I hoped at the time was his actual address.  I did take photos of him and the dog and because he didn't get abusive with me or just ride off I was hoping he was being genuine with me and we could sort out the vet bill with him later.

We were seen pretty quickly at the vet's who gave Max a dose of painkillers and antibiotics but said he couldn't put a stitch in the wounds as they were too deep.  The advice was to keep squeezing diluted Hibiscrub into the wound on a regular basis and also gave us more antibiotics for him to take.

I went round to see the guy later in the evening and thankfully he had given me his true address.  We have since given him a copy of the vet bill along with photos showing him the damage caused and he has come round this evening with just over half the costs apologising once again.

We are thankful that Max so far seems to be okay in himself although understandably a little nervous going out for his first walk this morning.  Our once enjoyable walk along the creek no longer holds any appeal to me and I think I am feeling incredibly anxious about going out walking with him on my own.  I know it could have been so much worse and I am so thankful I was not on my own that day but keep thinking what if.....

......it really doesn't bear thinking about.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Oh Linda, what a frightful time for you all. I'm so pleased the man gave you correct details and stumped up the cash for you.
I hope you can enjoy you walks again and put this behind you in time.
much love and {gentle stroke} for Max

Poppypatchwork said...

I do hope Max is feeling better, it's scary how quick these things happen.

Darnell said...

I'm so sorry, my friend, that you had to experience this horrific event. Thank God it wasn't worse and you had your brother with you and the owner is being adult about his negligence, but I do understand you and Max feeling anxious now. Hopefully the passage of time will make it enjoyable for you both again soon. Big hugs, Darnell